Last night I was looking for something a little lighter for dinner, but with the heartiness of a fuller meal. I started throwing things together based on a few other recipes I found. The result? It was a hit…both kids and the husband enjoyed!
Butternut Squash and Red Onion Pasta
- 8.8oz package (or similar size) gluten free egg noodles, prepared according to the package directions, al dente
- 2 TBs butter
- 1 small red onion, sliced as thin as possible
- 2 cups sliced butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, Romano and Asiago cheese blend (or similar)
- 1.5 cups water
- Melt 1 TB butter in skillet over low to medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper and cook until caramelized, stirring regularly.
- In the meantime, add 1.5 cups water, oregano and butternut squash to a small pan, bring to a boil and cook until the squash is soft, drain the water and save it.
- Combine the pasta, squash, onions, 1 TB butter, cheese and 1/2 cup water from the squash into the skillet and heat until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.