As many of you know, we took the boys to San Diego last month. It was amazing…from incredible beach views and runs to seeing the west coast for the first time, we built memories to last a lifetime. We also got a taste of deliciously fresh food to break up the winter routine back home. My favorite? Chicken Tacos from World Famous, a beach side bar and restaurant in Mission Beach.
Since we can’t fly 7 hours for tacos, I decided to mix it up and try them at home. The results? Family favorite! My take on the recipe is below! NOTE: their tacos had cabbage and we were out…but if you want to add some deliciousness, consider going that route!
San Diego Style Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green peppers (chopped)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 TB lime juice
- 8 white corn tortillas.
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (for topping)
- 1 chopped tomato (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin in a gallon sized plastic bag. Add the chicken and coat as evenly as possible (don’t stress here, you’ll be shredding it later!).
- Heat the EVOO over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and bake for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until done.
- In the meantime, add the peppers, onion, garlic and lime juice to the pan in which the chicken was sauteed.
- Heat the veggies over medium high-heat until browned, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and shred.
- Lightly brush the tortillas with EVOO and place in foil in the oven for 4-5 minutes or until warm.
- Assemble the parts and enjoy!!
NOTE: I am entered into ZOOMA’s Run to Napa contest, which depends on your vote! The winning blogger AND a reader (could be you!) will win a trip to Napa for the ZOOMA Women’s Half Marathon in June. Right now, I’m in third place, and would appreciate daily votes through February 24! LINK!
Leave a Reply